Wakame brings to you Sri Lankan Cuisine Week

Wakame - Salute




I have the utmost respect to anyone who goes out of their core business and do their best to celebrate another country's culinary marvels and introduce to its base customers, well that's gutsy, bold, ambitious and belief. This, said is a few words is the underlying fact that I see, when this  Uber Japanese restaurant, goes out of the way and invest in celebrating ' Sri Lankan' cuisine, My country!.




Been in Dubai for nearly two decades had have been fortunate to see and know what's been going around in the food scene, I cannot recall a top restaurant and that too which is a renowned for its Japanese cuisine, highlight our culinary exceptions and fine tuning it and setting in front of the wider audince to try and cherish. Coming from this tiny Island for me this is a big deal. Guided under the passionate and adventurous leadership of the man behind the brand, Mr. Alawi Al Braik and this trusted main man in the kitchen Chef Shane, have joined hands to bring out, magnificent Lankan culinary expose to the uninitiated. Unbeknownst to many this top restaurant's larger customer base consists of Emarati's.  This fact I saw thru my own eyes and I can vouch for it. These wonderful people know their food taste and passionate, hence they have made Wakame, their go to place.




Now getting back to the Sri Lankan magic, we started with the Gotukola breeze and the Kurunegala sunshine. Gotukola is a leaf based and its very common in Sri Lankan, used as a side to the the rice and the rest of the curries, but here the Mixologist had made magic from this, wonderful mix with pineapple, lime and syrup. Definitely refreshing, wonderful. So was the Sunshine, a mix with the tender coconut, apple juice, mint lime. Lovely drink, you can still get the tender coconut taste and the tad bit of the rest layers in each sip.

Next, was the Colombo Devilled Calamari, Sir, I have no words to say how amazing this dish was, the spice level was on another level. Red onion, tomatoes. leek, chili flakes, all perfected tempered with the finest calamari was out of this world. Sir. this was off the charts.

Next was the Down South hot butter prawns. Now tell me  how many people have tried anything with hot butter. The prawns used here I guess was from another planet, man that was so huge and could be easily shared by two people. Crispy garlic and red onion gave a marvelous taste on the curry, which embraced with a bit of Jasmine rice was delish.



Next, the mighty, show stopper the  'Lagoon Chili Crab'. lets say this was ' Stand up and clap' this is what everyone should do as soon as they have taken a bite of this baby. Words wont do justice, You gotta try it before its too late. Chef Shane & Team, Mr. Alwai. the bold attempt on this alone you guys need a trophy. Let me stop here and If you are reading this after the 16th of October, sadly you'v missed the bus on this.




Many more to mention here, trust me when I say this, in my culinary I have been wowed by quiet a few restaurants and this one is rated right on top of it all. Prima's mango and prawn curry, the kotthu rotti, the Seer fish. I thank the entire team to selecting such marvelous menu to give the customers an amazing experience of the Sri Lankan cuisine.

The evening was topped off by two fantastic desserts, Watalappan and Lavariya Bar and St. Claires ice creme. The taste, and the flavours, sweet levels. A fine take on both the desserts, great use of ingredients which is used in Sri Lankan cuisine and for me to choose one would be difficult but would lean towards the bias of loving the Watalappan. :).




Overall, This was one of the memorable food nights in a long while and this I will remember, as this restaurant, look into the soul of my country's culinary journey and brought it out to the bigger food loving people in Dubai.

Sir, Thank you.


Wakame - Sofitel Dubai Downtown Menu, Reviews, Photos, Location and Info - Zomato

Comments